A spiced tea with a strong flavoring of cinnamon and clove.
This recipe is one of our favorites from:
Flavorful Barista : Coffee and Tea Recipes
Available for both smartphones and tablets on Amazon.com
Yield: 8 ounces (250 ml)
Prep time: 12 Minutes
Total time: 30 Minutes
1 teaspoon (5 ml) loose leaf black tea
8 ounces (250 ml) distilled or filtered water
1 whole clove
1 whole cinnamon stick
1/8 teaspoon (.65 ml) cardamom
2 ounces (60 ml) milk
If you do not have a teapot for brewing loose leaf tea, you may substitute using tea bags for brewing.
If you are able to find cardamon pods you may substitute 2 to 3 pods, cracked open, instead of traditinal ground cardamon.
1) Put the kettle on and begin heating your water.
2) Use 1 teaspoon (5 ml) of loose leaf tea for every 8 ounces of water, unless the tea tin instructs you differently.
3) When the water has almost reached the boil, about 150F (65C), insert a the strainer over your teapot. Measure your tea into the strainer. If you don’t have a teapot with a built-in strainer, you can just measure the leaves directly into the pot. If you don’t have a thermometer handy, you can tell the water temperature by watching the bubbles. Small bubbles will float to the surface of the water at about 160F (71C), and you’ll see strings of bubbles from the bottom of the kettle at about 180F (82C). After that, you’ll have a full rolling boil.
4) When the water begins to boil, turn off the kettle and pour it over the tea leaves into the teapot. Put the lid on to steep.
5) Steep anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes. Add the clove, cinnamon and caranom and let steep for about 10 additional minutes to blend the flavors.
6) After steeping, remove the strainer from the teapot and replace the lid. If your teapot does not have a built-in strainer you may use a kitchen strainer when pouring the tea to catch the tea leaves.
7) If adding sugar for sweet tea, make sure to do so before the tea cools so that the sugar will fully dissolve.
8) Add the milk before the tea begins to cool.
Calories (kcal) 95
% Calories from Fat: 28%
% Calories from Carbohydrates: 62%
% Calories from Protein: 10%